Still focused on making beads. I've been nicely surprised by the popularity of the gold leaf/prayer beads. So far every set has sold. So I've made a few new sets in different colors and sizes. The above are some very dark green rounds with gold leaf and faux age patina. No Thai Buddha imprint. I did do one in this color but it just didn't seem to be right, so I kept them plain. These are listed in my shop--all the ones below will be by Saturday eve.
Some larger ones above, in a milk chocolatey color. I spend probably too much time fine tuning and mixing colors.
Here's a set in smaller sizes, same milk chocolate color. This is about as small as I can go, 14-15mm and use the Thai Buddha mold I made and still have it appear recognizable. I've been ruminating on other smaller images I could mold to make smaller prayer beads. Somewhere I've got a tiny mold I made of Spock's face. I have to force myself constantly not to make everything Star Trek.
A set of mixed shapes swirls. You know how certain things are hard to photograph by their nature, like bracelets and many-componented super long earrings laying flat? I'm finding detailed bead sets are like that. There are so many faces of each bead that have specific features I want to show. I suppose it would be logical to take photos of them all facing a certain way, then turn them all, and then again, and then snap the tops, and bottoms, etc. But when I'm purchasing, I know I always appreciate seeing practical photos, like how they look when strung, or at least how the holes run/how they might line up. And also photos that really show the true shapes. So my efforts when photographing and choosing the photos for listing are very scattered. Sometimes different photos of the same set of beads make them look like a completely different set of beads. When editing this bunch pictured above and below, I realized, quite paradoxically, that might actually be all I need to concern myself with. If they look different enough from photo to photo, I suppose I'm getting all aspects of them documented.
Below is a set that looked completely different before they were baked. It's a transparent base with a drawn/smeared/elongated millefiori technique. Transparent clay as a base is always a guessing game. It came out much more opaque than I hoped and much of the cane is lost, although hints can still be seen, along with some inner gold leaf inclusions. I like the halfness, or near-cap forms, too. Almost brainy.
These below show a new technique--more of a layered slab applique type than cane/millefiori. I like the 'watercolor' look of it. I was pleased they sold almost immediately. I'll definitely be experimenting with this technique some more.
I was thrilled to be featured on the Polymer Clay Daily blog a couple days ago. Take a look--she featured my skull beads. I've got to make some more Halloween-centered beads. Now that it's officially Fall, I guess I can let go of whining about it 'still being summer.'