Friday, February 8, 2013

And more beads...

I've listed some more beads in my supply shop.
 Some glittered vein millefiori pairs...
 The same cane used in cut leaf shapes over a muddy green glittered base, then smeared/elongated...
More polka dot beads.  This time I grubbied them up a little with a dye bath after baking.  I like the pox-ish look of them.
 Big chunky crater beads.
Whole cane beads.  I like the almost watercolor sides of them.
 Small stripe beads made using Sharpie markers before baking...



 These vine millefiori beads have been up a while in my regular shop but they expired and they're now up again in the supply shop.  I'd love to just move everything over but I may as well use the favorites & views they've racked up and the listing fees too.
 Some more of the polymer covered stones.  I made them at the same time as the others but was tardy in embellishing and listing.  Someone inquired about the sold ones so these went straight to reserve.  I'll be making more--I will try to aim for intentional shapes this time.  So much of it seems to depend on the particular stones I choose.  I haven't experimented enough to know what shapes lead to what final forms though.  They're pretty fun to make.  So far I like the clear quartz best with the translucent clay base because it melds the best and you can't really see begin-and-end seams.
And these vintage carved bone camel guys are up as well.  They seem more striking in person because they look so detailed and delicate.  I've got more and I keep meaning to use them in earrings. 

Has anyone ever tried this tea?  

Oh my.  It's super strong and over-the-top cinnamony.  But I'm a cinnamon fan, so it's okay and I really like it but I was hoping it would have more of a chicory or traditional chai taste.  It also numbs my mouth--lots of clove too apparently, even though it can't be detected through the cinnamon.  Still, it's nice to have an herbal tea that will take cream.  I'm really burned out on my decaf raktajino coffee concoction I was drinking while working in the evenings, so I've been trying to find a good real-tea like tea.  Or at least something that tastes rich and dark vs. light and herbaly.  Just has to be no caffeine and preferably cream-able.  Suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Do you like rooibos? It's kind of tea-ey. I don't get much satisfaction from most herbal teas so i kind of understand what you're after. Have you tried any coffee substitutes? I think roasted dandelion root is wonderful and will take the cream . And is really good for you as well. I haven't forgotten about my offer of a trade. Between gem show and writing the article I may not get back to the studio for a bit.
    I love the green polki dotti ones and always a fan of your facets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooibos might be a good idea. I almost bought some the night i got the bengal spice, but the one I was looking at had a pomegranate blend in it, so I thought it might curdle. I'll look again and see if there are any other offerings. I usually love coffee substitues--I used to even drink Postum. I didn't really think it tasted like coffee; it was a drink unto itself. I'll look for the roasted dandelion root too. I just need that deep, caramel richness of coffee and real tea. What I wish is that I could handle caffeine at night.
      I'm up for a trade anytime--just let me know!

      Delete
  2. OH my living lords n ladies, that white poly bead with the quartz tip.... oh my lady parts!

    If you want a 'meaty' tea, just make your own chai! I do it all the time- throw 3 black teabags in a liter of water (4 cups), add a thumb tip of fresh ginger, 6 peppercorns, 3 star anise, 8 cloves, 3 cardamom pods, cinnamon stick. Bring to boil then simmer for as long as you want it strong. Then add milk and honey if required. You can also use half-water-half-milk in the pot, or just go straight milk for super-creamy, hot chocolate style. I use prince of wales tea for it as it has the kick, but I don't know if you can get that there in the US. Twinings brand. But yeah- you can change up the spices, add or reduce for flavour, and best of all you can just reheat it all day and it's fine (take the tea bags out after the first go though, they could break or go bitter.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making chai from scratch! If I could just find a decaf base, I'd do it and have a big batch of it to drink all night! I'm on the hunt now for a plain rooibos with Kim's suggestions. Have you ever tried the chai with a non-caffeine base? I know--what's the point. I am all about caffeine. I just can't drink it about 6 hours before I want to go to bed. And I must have lots of something yummy and warm to drink while I'm working. I may try a 'real' version of the chai with my bengal spice tonight.

      Thanks for the enthusiasm with the polymer stone. It's a strange and unexplored process but they got enough attention and sales that I think I need to go with it.

      Delete
  3. ok. the crystal beads are gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be experimenting and refining the process soon. I've got lots of the chips and nuggets to use up!

      Delete