Monday, March 25, 2013

Bones n' such...

I've been busy making a ton of dyed bone bead strands.  They've been pretty popular and I've been getting a lot of requests, comments, custom orders and reserves. 

It caught me off guard--I wish I would have immediately had a ton more to work with.

But I've got a ton now, so I'm trying some different techniques.  These first three photos are all grey tones.  Obviously .  

Discs..
Chunky discs and barrels...

But I made some brown ones too.  These aren't on reserve, and they're listed they're sold.


These too!are sold 

These aren't listed quite yet.  But I'm putting together some strands with the mixed colors and special shapes.  They'll be listed within a day or so.
 These too.  I love the ones with the little crescent moons.


This elephant pair will be listed super soon as well are listed. I almost kept them for earrings.  But I'm so in supply shop mode that it just seemed right to put them there.

 It's not just bone beads I've been messing around with.  I've got tons of little bowls going.  I'm like one of those crazy people spinning bowls on sticks at the circus.  It's quite the show.  This is the 5th or 6th strand of altered shell heishi I've made.  Each strand turns out differently.  These have a ton of white stuff going on.  It's not paint--I just want to clarify that.  I just take steps to remove the commercial finish on them.  I tried dyeing them after the finish was removed, but it didn't take.  Darker is not so interesting anyway, as they are already dark.  Uncovering the raw surfaces though, is pretty cool.  Sometimes there are a ton of transparent ones and a lot of iridescence.


 I did the same process with these nut beads.  It got all wonderfully crazy worn looking.


Here's some dyed wood beads.  They'll be listed within a day or so too.  I've got several sets of (different types) of dyed wood beads.  They don't all work, and I haven't figured out a way to tell until it's in progress. I think it has to do with dynamics of the commercial sealant on them.  A lot of the ones that dye and alter well are vintage and very 'rustic.'  They're usually found on obviously-handmade crafter necklaces.  I'm thinking they were probably originally extremely inexpensive/cheap purchased in massive bags for macrame type work in the 70s.  I've obviously constructed an entire false mythology around the provenance of the rustic wood beads.  But they sure do dye well.  


 And finally, believe it or not, some actual new jewelry is listed in my jewelry shop!  I love the darker green glass beads in these.  I've got some smaller ones listed in my supply shop; also these, which are pretty much just like the ones in the earrings; and also these which are the same larger size but a little bit lighter in color.

Oh, the photos to show.  But this is probably a good stopping place.  My mouse is malfunctioning and it's driving me crazy.







6 comments:

  1. Bit of drooling going on here. These are so very nice and look like you're enjoying the process too.
    The picture came to mind of a mad scientist bent over stacked bowls of bubbling mystery mixes but the circus image is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye candy! I love this process that you are doing, it creates really wonderful tonal gradations. Both of your shops are looking full and tempting with so many pretty things. Those dark green glass earrings are beautiful, they remind me of Paris at the fin de siecle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dyed beads really are beautiful. The palettes you use are so enticing, I tell you! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. the new beads look great...i remember trying this once...i think I used clorine bleach...but not much happened...they just got all funky looking..

    ReplyDelete
  5. as you well know, im a huge fan of what you're doing with these and have already ordered, what, 4 strands? and omg, the colored ones!!! im freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete